Locating the Noncustodial Parent

What happens if I don't know where the noncustodial parent is?

If you do not know where you child's noncustodial parent lives, the DRS can refer your case to the Parent Locator System. This service uses federal, state and local resources to search for noncustodial parents. You must give the DRS as much information as you know about the noncustodial parent. The DRS will ask you for the noncustodial parent's name, date of birth, Social Security Number, phone number, employer and any other information that can be used to conduct the search.

If you go to the Pennsylvania Child Support website at www.childsupport.state.pa.us and click on the "View Frequently Asked Questions/General Subjects" link, you will find more information about what a DRS does to locate noncustodial parents.

I know the noncustodial parent moves around a lot. Will this create a problem with locating him/her?

If the noncustodial parent moves and does not provide new contact information, the Parent Locator System will be able to search for the absent parent using the information previously given.

Is there a time limit on how long you search for the noncustodial parent?

If the noncustodial parent has not been located after three years using a valid Social Security number, the DRS may close the case. If the noncustodial parent has not been located after one year and the DRS does not have a valid Social Security number, the DRS may close the case.

What is the next step after the noncustodial parent is located?

After the noncustodial parent is located, the next step is to establish paternity for an alleged father. If the noncustodial parent is the mother, the next step is setting up a child support conference.